Bloomington, IL - Aug 15, 2011 - William Edison Moulic Jr. of Bloomington, IL, passed away on Aug. 12, 2011. While his name may not be as familiar as other broadcast innovators, many stations used equipment manufactured by his company. Moulic was the owner/president of Sono-Mag Corporation and its subsidiaries, which built some of the first tape cartridge machines for ATC. SMC was one of the three major tape cart machine companies in Bloomington (Sono-Mag, ATC (later ITC) and Audi-Cord). Later SMC was very big in radio station automation equipment from the 1960s to the 1980s.
Moulic was born May 25, 1917, in Bloomington. He graduated from Pratt Institute School of Science and Technology in Brooklyn, NY, in 1939, and taught there from 1940-1941. In 1942 he worked as an associate professor at the University of New York and taught electronics to Army Signal Corps trainees.
He later took courses at MIT and Columbia University. He co-authored several books on electrical engineering, including The Engineering Handbook published in 1944 and The Electronic Control Handbook published in 1946.
Bill Moulic, his father Edison and brother Robert established Moulic Specialities Co. in 1945, which later was named Sono-Mag Corp. By 1959, Bill was building automated tape cartridge machines for radio broadcasting, obtaining a patent for such a system under the trademark McCarta for magnetic cartridge tape. He developed and patented the rotating carousel system in 1962.