NAB Insider from Radio magazine - April 28, 2009
Apr 28, 2009 10:00 AM
- The Radio magazine Pick Hits of the 2009 NAB Show
- 2009 NAB Show Attendance Announced
- Henry Engineering USB Matchbox II
- Dielectric 1.8-kW Switchback Filter
- ERI-Electronics Research Shared aperture FM antennas
- Axia Audio Livewire Intercom System
- How well do you know your Vegas history?
- NAB Announces 2009 Crystal Radio Award Winners
- NAB Survey: Convention Attendees in Buying Mood
- Neutrik Opticalcon Transceiver Adapter
- Day Sequerra M2HDSP
- Netia Warehouse Web 2.0
- Avlex Superlux HD681
- SBE Expands Education Program
- Tascam LA Series
- Sonifex Signal LED Illuminated Signs
- Abacast Ad Injection
- NKK Switches YB2 Series
- How did you do?
News from the ConventionThe Radio magazine Pick Hits of the 2009 NAB Show
Las Vegas - 2009 NAB Show - Radio magazine announced the winners of the Pick Hit Awards for the 2009 NAB Show. The Radio magazine Pick Hits panel selects the top 15 new products introduced at the convention. 2009 marks the 25th year the Pick Hits have been awarded.The 15 winners are:
- Axia Powerstation
- Bird Electronic Signal Hawk SH-36S-PC
- Burk Plus-X 300
- Burk PPM Assurance
- Comrex Bric-Link
- Day Sequera Timelock
- Harris HPX
- Harris Intraplex HD Link
- Henry Engineering Powerswitch
- Henry Engineering USB Matchbox II
- Litepanels 1x1 Low Profile
- Nautel NV Series
- SAS TP-USB
- Shure X2U
- Tieline Bridge-It
"The Pick Hit Awards are limited to 15 winners, which maintains the value and prestige of the award," says Chriss Scherer, editor of Radio magazine. "In addition, the Pick Hit Award judges follow a strict set of rules and make their selections independently and anonymously, which is a further testimony to the proven value of the award to radio broadcasters." The Pick Hit Awards were first presented at the NAB Convention in 1985, making them the oldest technology award at the convention. The Pick Hit Awards are selected by a panel of judges who are radio broadcast engineers from radio stations, radio networks and radio production facilities. The Radio magazine staff has no influence in the Pick Hit Awards decision, which ensures that there is no bias in the selections. The official Pick Hit rules require that the winning products must fit a recognized need in radio, are priced within reason, are available within the current calendar year and have never before been exhibited at the NAB Convention.The complete list of recipients will be published in the June 2009 issue of Radio magazine.2009 NAB Show Attendance Announced
Las Vegas - On Tuesday, April 21, 2009, at the 2009 NAB Show, the NAB announced the registered attendance figures:Registered attendance: 83,842
International attendees: 23,232
News media attendees: 1,246Radio magazine Editor Chriss Scherer was estimating 85,000. Informal surveys from the convention floor ranged from 75,000 to 95,000.Exhibitor ExtraHenry Engineering USB Matchbox II
USB audio interface
The USB Matchbox II is a USB audio interface for broadcast stations and professional audio installations. Used instead of a common PC sound card, the USB Matchbox II eliminates common PC interface problems of buzz, noise, insufficient headroom and incorrect levels. It provides both analog and digital interface. The USB Matchbox II features Burr-Brown's new generation phase coherent ADC/DAC, in addition to advanced audio circuitry. The unit supports 32, 44.1 and 48kHz sample rates and is plug-and-play compatible with Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems. The USB Matchbox II also features a built-in ac power supply to ensure operation at true professional audio levels with exceptional headroom.Dielectric 1.8-kW Switchback Filter
Dielectric's new 1.8kW Switchback filter is designed specifically for the stringent requirements of 700MHz applications. Within a compact rack-mountable package, the filter provides superior electrical performance with extremely low insertion loss for a unit of its size -- less than 1.1dB integrated insertion loss. State-of-the-art material selection provides temperature compensation within +/-10kHz and an overall temperature range of 0 to 45 degrees. The filter supports a 2,000W power capability and provides a VSWR of less than 1.25:1.ERI-Electronics Research Shared aperture FM antennas
Analog/digital FM antenna
Shared aperture FM antennas for simulcast analog and IBOC digital transmission operation utilize the Rototiller Series FM antennas. The systems are capable of implementing the proposed increase to digital IBOC effective radiated power (ERP) levels of up to 10 percent (-10dBc) of authorized analog ERP. The shared aperture antenna system is available in a large variety of configurations and utilizes construction methods that yield analog to digital isolation ratios of -40dB, for single-frequency applications. The antenna systems are also available in arrays suitable for multiplexing two or more signals into a common antenna and transmission line. In addition to multiplexed designs, the shared aperture FM antennas are available as directional FM arrays and can be measured and optimized for best radiation performance on ERI's full scale antenna test range.Axia Audio Livewire Intercom System
The Livewire Intercom System integrates with Axia IP-audio networks, providing intercom communication not only between stations but to and from the talkback channels built into Axia Element broadcast consoles. Available in 10- and 20-station rackmount configurations, Livewire Intercom lets users talk one-on-one or with multi-user groups by pressing a single button, and uses your existing IP-audio network infrastructure -- no additional wiring needed. Like all Axia equipment, Livewire Intercom scales quickly and economically; adding another station is as simple as making a CAT-5 Ethernet connection.
NAB Insider from Radio magazine - April 28, 2009
Apr 28, 2009 10:00 AM
Do You Know?
How Well Do You Know Your Vegas History?
Each of these events happened recently from 2006-2008, can you guess the correct year?
- Boyd Gaming Corp. announces Echelon Place, a $4 billion development project. The 5,300-room resort will be located on the 63-acre site now occupied by the Stardust.
- Caesars Palace raises table game limit ceiling to the highest in Las Vegas.
- Las Vegas hosts first MTV Video Music Awards at The Palms Casino Resort.
- Cirque du Soleil opens its fifth resident show, 'Love' at The Mirage, replacing long-time Las Vegas magicians, Siegfried and Roy. The show is based on The Beatles music.
- The Palazzo celebrates its grand opening.
- Nevada becomes #1 in restaurant growth. The National Restaurant Association report shows that Nevada's restaurant industry is growing faster than anywhere else in the country.
- Grand Canyon Skywalk Opens. This modern-day marvel becomes the first-ever cantilever-shaped glass walkway to suspend more than 4,000 feet above the canyon's floor and extend 70 feet from the canyon's rim.
- Harrah's Entertainment and AEG announce plans for a 20,000-seat, state-of-the-art sports arena.
- The Star Trek Experience closes at the Las Vegas Hilton after 12 successful years.
- Nevada celebrates 75 years of legalized gaming.
- Bette Midler becomes new resident headliner at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace, replacing Celine Dion who had a successful five-year run.
- The Castaways, the property formerly known as The Showboat, is imploded. Within 18 seconds, the 19-story hotel is reduced to a 20,000-ton pile of rubble.
- Cirque du Soleil announces its seventh resident production show featuring renowned illusionist Criss Angel.
IndustryNAB Announces 2009 Crystal Radio Award Winners
Washington, DC - Apr 21, 2009 - The National Association of Broadcasters has named 10 winners of the NAB Crystal Radio Awards. Since 1987, the NAB Crystal Radio Awards have recognized radio stations for their year-round commitment to community service. The 2009 NAB Crystal Radio Award recipients: KKLI-FM Colorado Springs, COWGY-AM Latham, NY KOZT-FM Fort Bragg, CAWIBC-FM Indianapolis, IN KUAD-FM Windsor, COWKRQ-FM Cincinnati, OH KXKT-FM Omaha, NEWRAL-FM Raleigh, NC WDBR-FM Springfield, ILWTUZ-FM New Philadelphia, OHAward winners were selected from 50 finalists and recognized at the NAB Show Radio Luncheon.NAB Survey: Convention Attendees in Buying Mood
Washington, DC - A survey conducted by the National Association of Broadcasters showed that nearly 80 percent of NAB Show pre-registered conference and exhibition attendees planned to buy products or services exhibited on the convention floor. In line with that, 79 percent of survey respondents said they planned to purchase products or services on-site or within 12 months of the show.Past NAB Show research has shown that exhibitors generate more than $50 billion in sales as a direct result of the show each year.More survey findings:
- 93 percent: Respondents who play a role in purchasing products and services showcased on the show floor, while 41 percent have final purchase authority.
- 88 percent: Respondents say that the show is "very or somewhat important" to their purchasing plans this year.
- 42 percent: Respondents who rated "see new products and developments" and "comparing products for future purchase" as two of the main reasons for coming to the NAB Show and added that it was more important this year, given the current economic climate.
- 34 percent: Respondents who will not attend any other convention this year.
The pre-show Internet survey was conducted April 1-8 and was sent by NAB to a random sample of more than 3,000 pre-registered conference and exhibition attendees.Products from the FloorNeutrik Opticalcon Transceiver Adapter
The Opticalcon Transceiver Adapter seamlessly connects an Opticalcon chassis and an LC SFP transceiver. SFP transceivers are compact, optical transceivers used in fiber-optic communications. Neutrik''s adapter is compatible with all LC SFP transceivers and enables use of the Opticalcon or conventional LC connectors. It features an automatic sealing shutter that avoids any transceiver contamination on-site and also helps users avoid vandalism by protecting the transceiver. The transceiver adaptor is available in several variations depending on signal mode.Day Sequerra M2HDSP
Modulation monitor for HD Radio
The M2HDSP, Day Sequerra's newest modulation monitor for HD Radio employs the company's recently developed digital signal processing (DSP) architecture, first introduced in its M4DDM. The M2HDSP runs Day Sequerra's new proprietary Time Lock algorithm to automatically maintain perfect alignment of the HD Radio main program signal (MPS) analog and HD-1 digital audio. Using its selective off-air tuner, the M2HDSP measures the MPS analog and HD-1 digital audio diversity and generates a continuous stream of correction vectors to keep the analog and digital audio perfectly time and level aligned. These correction vectors are then sent via Ethernet to an HD Radio embedded exporter or compatible audio processor to provide the necessary adjustments to the analog audio delay.Netia Warehouse Web 2.0
Audio and video broadcast platform
The Warehouse Web Version 2.0 audio and video broadcast and display platform can provide new services and revenue opportunities for Manreo users. It provides companies with a system for centralizing, sharing, and viewing audio, image, and video archives, and broadcasting them across multiple distribution channels. Because Warehouse Web 2.0 has been developed using the REST (Representational State Transfer) architecture and includes XML Web Services, it now offers up to four interfaces, making it more ergonomic and powerful. Warehouse Web's Catalog Interface offers Manreo users a global view of all files and metadata, along with more powerful searches. The Terminology Interface manages the Thesaurus and allows users to add, delete, and modify words and interaction between words. The Media Interface manages the storage of both audio and video files. Using this interface, users can view various files and file format support. Finally, Warehouse Web's Monitoring Interface lets the user track file conversion and publishing workflows to various platforms including mobile phones.Avlex Superlux HD681
Semi-open pro headphones
Superlux HD681 dynamic headphones employ a semi-open design that enables one to monitor the audio source with realism without being acoustically isolated. Key to the HD681's performance attributes are the large, 50mm dome type, neodymium diaphragms. Featuring a 10Hz - 30kHz frequency range and total harmonic distortion of less than 0.25 percent, the headphones deliver wide dynamic range. Designed as classic cans, the HD681's large, circumaural, padded vinyl earpieces provide a comfortable experience. The HD681's 8' single-sided, digital grade cable and the included gold-plated 3.5mm to quarter-inch screw-on adapter provide for freedom of movement and the ability to adapt to a multitude of audio playback sources.
NAB Insider from Radio magazine - April 28, 2009
Apr 28, 2009 10:00 AM
More Convention News
SBE Expands Education Program
Indianapolis - The Society of Broadcast Engineers will step up its educational program for members, following action by the Society's board of directors at its meeting at the 2009 NAB Show. The Board approved a plan that calls for the Society's education programs to triple by the end of 2012. The Society will add a full-time education director position to its national staff in Indianapolis to help facilitate the growth. The additional staff person will work with the Society's volunteer Education Committee to expand the Society's existing educational offerings into a comprehensive program geared towards working broadcast engineers and technicians. Courses and seminars will be offered online, as live or recorded webinars and in traditional in-person settings, with topics offered from basic to advanced levels.
One of the immediate targets of the effort will be to expand on the Society's SBE University, which opened on Jan. 1, 2009. The SBE University now includes four courses that are available on-line and on-demand. Participants may access the courses 24/7/365. The Society plans to have as many as 18 different SBE University courses available by 2012.
"The SBE has always been about education, since its founding in 1964. Our members and the industry have told us that they need more opportunities for continuing education to keep up with changing technology." said SBE President Barry Thomas, CPBE CBNT.
Tascam LA Series
Tascam has updated their line amplifiers with the LA-40mk3, LA-80mk2 and LA-81mk2. The new models include a �12dB trim control for better matching of levels between components. A signal present LED proves useful during system design and troubleshooting. The new models are packaged in black rack cases with standard chassis depth for easier wiring. All of this is offered for a lower price than ever before. The LA-80mk2 is an eight-channel unbalanced to balanced line amplifier, where the LA-81mk2 converts eight channels of balanced to unbalanced audio. The LA-40mk3 has four channels of unbalanced to balanced and another four channels of balanced to unbalanced out.
Sonifex Signal LED Illuminated Signs
Designed for studio installers and systems integrators, this range of illuminated RGB LED studio signs contain the control electronics themselves so they can be simply configured for color and operation on site.
Abacast Ad Injection
Abacast's Ad Injection System allows broadcasters to easily switch their online stream from over-the-air content to online-only content. This system allows stations to automatically replace terrestrial content (typically ads or PSAs) with online-specific ads or other content to realize additional revenue online. Injected ads can be pulled from external locations making reselling of ad inventory straightforward. Features include: Player Sponsorships -- sell premium promotional time and player real-estate; Gateway or Pre-Roll Advertisements -- generate revenue from audio or video ads when a listener session begins; Rotating Banner Ads -- rotate banner ads on the player to capture additional revenue; Abacast Premier Media Player -- provide any or all of these monetization capabilities, customized with your station brand. Ad Injection System is a lightweight software program that runs on the encoder server. It automatically interprets triggers in the terrestrial content indicating a commercial or other replaceable content is coming up and injects online-specific ads or content into the online stream.
NKK Switches YB2 Series
Tamper resistant 22MM pushbuttons
The YB2 Series of 22mm pushbuttons is offered in both illuminated and non-illuminated models. Features for the pushbuttons include tamper resistant, flush mount, panel seal and super low profile. The dust-tight and splash-proof panel seal design protects the YB2 series against low pressure jets of water from all directions and meets IP65 of IEC60529 standards. At 1.8mm, these pushbuttons have one of the shortest above panel dimensions in the industry. The YB2 Series exhibits a short behind-the-panel body measuring only 24.5mm. In addition, the series has a tamper resistant 19mm actuator with a distinctive long stroke and user-friendly actuation.
Did You Know?
How did you do?
Las Vegas timeline 2006-2008:
- 2006 - Nevada celebrates 75 years of legalized gaming.
- 2006 - The Castaways, the property formerly known as The Showboat, is imploded. Within 18 seconds, the 19-story hotel is reduced to a 20,000-ton pile of rubble.
- 2006 - Boyd Gaming Corp. announces Echelon Place, a $4 billion development project. The 5,300-room resort will be located on the 63-acre site now occupied by the Stardust.
- 2006 - Nevada becomes #1 in restaurant growth. The National Restaurant Association report shows that Nevada's restaurant industry is growing faster than anywhere else in the country.
- 2006 - Cirque du Soleil opens its fifth resident show, ' Love' at The Mirage, replacing long-time Las Vegas magicians, Siegfried & Roy. The show is based on The Beatles music.
- 2007 - Cirque du Soleil announces its seventh resident production show featuring renowned illusionist Criss Angel.
- 2007 - Las Vegas hosts first MTV Video Music Awards at The Palms Casino Resort.
- 2007 - Harrah's Entertainment and AEG announce plans for a 20,000-seat, state-of-the-art sports arena.
- 2007 - Grand Canyon Skywalk Opens. This modern-day marvel becomes the first-ever cantilever-shaped glass walkway to suspend more than 4,000 feet above the canyon's floor and extend 70 feet from the canyon's rim.
- 2008 - Caesars Palace raises table game limit ceiling to the highest in Las Vegas.
- 2008 - The Palazzo celebrates its grand opening.
- 2008 - The Star Trek Experience closes at the Las Vegas Hilton after 12 successful years.
- 2008 - Bette Midler becomes new resident headliner at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace, replacing Celine Dion who had a successful five-year run.