Norway''s Media Authority: 4 out 5 Conditions for FM Switchoff Have Been Met
Sep 3, 2014 1:53 PM, Doug Irwin, CPBE AMD DRB
OSLO� Norway''s Media Authority is reporting that four of its five requirements for the ultimate switchover to DAB+ from FM radio have now been met. The requirements are as follows:
- � NRK (Norway''s Public Broadcaster) must have DAB+ coverage for its P1 program that is 99.5% that of P1''s FM coverage. Media Authority reports that this has been achieved.
- � Commercial Stations must have 90% coverage of the population. This has been achieved as well.
- � The digital radio services must provide content and technology �added-value'' for listeners. The Media Authority is satisfied that this is achieved.
- � At least half of the municipalities, and all counties, must offer DAB+ retrofits for automobiles. Media Authority has made a survey of authorized workshops across the country; estimated coverage figures show that all the counties and 80 percent of all municipalities have workshops with offerings for assembling simple adapter solutions.
- � At least half of the radio listeners must hear a digital platform daily. Recent measurements show that the digital listening share is 47 percent.