SBE Announces 2006 National Award Winners
Sep 12, 2007 10:05 AM
Indianapolis - Sep 11, 2007 - The Society of Broadcast Engineers has announced the winners of its 2006 National Awards. Award recipients will be recognized during the SBE National Awards Dinner, held during the SBE National Meeting, Oct. 10 - 11, 2007, in Monroeville, PA.
The recipient of the SBE Broadcast Engineer of the Year Award for 2006 is John Lyons, CPBE, of New York City. Lyons' career in broadcasting has spanned 41 years, having spent time in AM and FM radio as well as TV. He is assistant vice president and director of broadcast communications for The Durst Organization. Lyons has been responsible for the design of many transmitter facilities at the World Trade Center and the Empire State Building in New York, as well as studio and station design. He's worked for major broadcasting companies including Sonderling Broadcasting, Bonneville, RKO General, Viacom, Sony and Clear Channel Communications. A member of the SBE for 36 years, he''s an SBE Fellow and SBE life certified as a certified professional broadcast engineer.
The SBE Educator of the Year Award goes to John Bisset of Manchester, NH. Bisset is the northeast regional sales manager - RF for Broadcast Electronics. Bisset has written the Workbench column in Radio World newspaper for 17 years.
Winner of the SBE Technology Award for 2006 is Ross Video of Iroquois, ON, for its Open Gear Terminal Equipment. Ross Video is a producer of video switching, processing and distribution technologies.
The award for Best Technical Article, Book or Program by an SBE Member goes to Doug Irwin, CPBE, AMD for his article, "100 Years, 100 Innovations," which appeared in the December 2006 issue of Radio magazine
Local chapters earning awards include:
- Best Regional Convention or Conference: Chapter 22, Central New York - 34th Annual Broadcast and Technology Expo; Thomas C. McNicholl, CBTE, convention chairman.
- Best Chapter Newsletter (Class B): Chapter 66, Fresno, CA. - Newsletter: Central Valley Signal; Dennis W. Thompson, editor.
- Best Chapter Frequency Coordination Effort (Class B): Chapter 54, Hampton Roads, VA. - Ted Hand, CPBE 8-VSB, frequency coordinator.
- Best Chapter Website: Chapter 36, San Diego - Gary Stigall, webmaster. The following awards were determined using statistical information based on Dec. 31, 2006, figures on file at the SBE National Office.
- Most Certified Chapter (Class A): Chapter 126, Saipan - Robert L. Springer, CPBE, chapter chairman.
- Most Certified Chapter (Class B): Chapter 131, Inland Empire, CA - Robert G. Dawson, CTO, CBNT, chapter chairman; Paul E. Claxton, CPBE, CBNT, certification chairman.
- Greatest Percentage Growth in New Members (Class A): Chapter 101, Columbia, SC - David R. Tancig, chapter chairman.
- Greatest Percentage Growth in New Members (Class B): Chapter 62, Utah - Michael L. Hansen, chapter chairman.
- Highest Percentage Member Attendance at Chapter Meetings (Class A): Chapter 136, Rio Grande Valley - Harry M. Thielemann, chapter chairman.
- Highest Percentage Member Attendance at Chapter Meetings (Class B): Chapter 118, Montgomery, AL - Larry J. Wilkins, CPBE, AMD, CBNT, chapter chairman.